Peanut butter and toast is probably one of the most popular breakfast treats the world over. Loved by children and adults alike, peanut butter is not just about the taste. It is also a rich source of nutrition when you choose the right product. Here is everything that you need to know about choosing the best peanut butter for you and your family.
What is Peanut Butter?
Peanut butter is a paste that is made with roasted peanuts that are ground to different consistencies. It is usually available in two varieties, namely crunchy and creamy. Crunchy peanut butter contains coarsely ground peanuts that give you a unique texture. Creamy peanut butter, on the other hand, is ground to a fine paste which is easier to spread on foods like toast.
Peanut butter is often classified as a blissful food. This is because of its unique nutty flavour which makes it delightful for your tastebuds. You also have flavoured varieties like chocolate and honey that you can choose from based on your preferences.
Benefits of Eating Peanut Butter
There is more than one reason why peanut butter is a must-have in a healthy diet plan:
- Best functional food: Peanut butter is rich in functional compounds like protein, vitamins, minerals, fibres, and antioxidants. It also contains 20 amino acids and is rich in Co-enzyme Q10 which makes any food healthier when you add a bit of peanut butter to it.
- It keeps the heart healthy: Studies show that peanut butter is a powerful food that can help reduce the chances of cardiovascular diseases. It contains a combination of healthy fatty acids like MUFAs and Omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce the build-up of bad cholesterol in the body.
- The best source of protein: For vegans and vegetarians especially, peanuts are the best natural source of protein. Unlike animal protein, you also have the advantage of other bioactive ingredients and fibre, making it the perfect post-workout food for faster recovery.
- Loaded with essential vitamins: Peanut butter contains a good amount of essential vitamins like the B vitamins. It also contains four essential minerals in large quantities and seven others in moderately high quantities. Peanut butter is one of the best sources of riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, choline, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, and thiamine.
- Helps maintain blood pressure levels: Peanuts contain high doses of potassium which is highly beneficial in maintaining healthy blood pressure. Potassium, in addition to protein, healthy fats, and fibre ensures that complications like strokes are kept at bay.
- Great for weight loss: Despite being a rich source of calories, peanut butter can help you lose weight. These calories are derived from clean sources like protein. Besides this, the high fibre content of peanut butter keeps you satiated for longer. It is also a healthy alternative to regular fat and sugar-rich snacks, helping you maintain a good diet without cravings.
How to Choose a Good Peanut Butter?
The product that you choose makes all the difference when it comes to enjoying the wholesome benefits of peanuts:
- Look for products made with real peanuts: Natural peanut butter is undoubtedly the healthiest option. To know if your product is 100% natural, check for a layer of oil above the peanut butter. If you can see a clear deposit of oil, it is an indication of pure and natural peanut butter. All you have to do is mix it in each time you consume it.
- Choose low-sugar and no salt: Many products available on stands add salt and artificial sugars to enhance the taste of the peanut butter. Look for healthier varieties that guarantee low sugar levels and are completely free from any salt.
- Ensure the safety of the product: To make sure that your product does not contain poor sources of peanuts or is free from any unwanted additives, choose one that is third-party tested.
Ideas to Consume Peanut Butter
As mentioned before, peanut butter makes any food tastier and healthier. Here are some ideas to consume it:
- Use it as a spread on toast.
- Add a tablespoon to your breakfast cereal to improve its protein content.
- Mix it in with protein shakes and other beverages to improve their nutritional value.
- Add it to your baked goodies to make tastier snacks.
Make sure you include the goodness of peanut butter in your diet. Choose a natural product that is loaded with nutrients to get the results that you want.
Angela is a senior editor at Dreniq News. She has written for many famous news agencies.