As a parent, you are the biggest influencer in your child’s life. So always try to present yourself in the best possible way. Try to have honest conversations with your kids to help them develop healthy habits, address them with some challenging topics such as drug abuse to make them aware of their adverse effects at an early age.
This drug talk is not a one-time thing; instead, you should discuss it more frequently so that it was as your child gets older and keeps your guidelines in mind. This view helps him stay away from the drugs and give him enough courage to say no to them.
But in case your child falls for the drugs, visit a drug rehab center as soon as possible for the treatment. Because as time passes, it becomes difficult to get rid of the habit. Here are some steps you can take as a parent to prevent your little ones from experimenting with the drugs ever.
When your child days 2 to 4 years old
- Help your child avoid dangerous substances in their immediate world. Celebrate their small success, and child decision making skill. Turn their failure and frustration into a learning opportunity by telling them the positive sides of the event.
For 5 to 8 years old
- You can talk about the substance-related messages they see on TV, watching movies or in their school. Tell them the goods and bads of these substances and how they feel.
- Also, tell them what the difference between medicinal drugs and Street drugs is, also how taking prescribed medications without recommendation can harm health.
For 9 to 12 years old
- 9 to 12-year-old children love experimenting with new things. Some make sure your child is well aware of how experimenting with the drugs, whether prescribed or Street, can bring harm to their health and also influence their family.
- Check your child’s friend regularly.you can call them to visit them once a while to know if both your child and their friends are on the same page.
- Do not let your child watch movies or dramas which present the content related to drugs or alcohol.
13 to 18 years old
- Make sure he knows all the rules and regulations of the house and well aware of the consequences in case if we abide by any law. As a parent, if you have schooled him from an early age, your child is very much and likely to use nicotine, alcohol, or other substances.
- Make it clear that you do not allow the consumption of alcohol, vape, nicotine, ice, or any other drug. Tell them how bad do you productively feel about these drugs. Do not behave harshly.
For 19 to 25 years old
- Your child may think that he or she is young enough to take his or her decision, but still, it is your parental responsibility to stay in touch with them and keep an open line of communication as they leave home.
- Keep inquiring them after a few hours, where are they and what are they doing? Also, enquire if they have any difficult situation or need your help.
- Stay aware of all the health issues, especially if you see your child is suffering from stress or anxiety because both of these are the early symptoms of drug use.